Friday, September 14, 2012

BOOM!


“This is how stupid people end up on the news, you know that, right?” “Nah... it shouldn’t do anything.” Those were words I soon had to rethink.
A few weeks ago my dad and I were doing a small fireworks display for a group in the back of the campground with us. We set up while the sun was out, so we could go to a party in the evening. Unfortunately, nature decided to let loose and rain all over everything we set out. Most of it was ruined for sure, since the powder inside caked together. We just threw many of them in the fire pit there, but put the “big one” in a plastic bag to take home where we had more space. We were still a bit leery of its report, having never had one before.
This last weekend we started a fire with heat to the point of white flames. Thinking this would be the ideal time to dispose of the firecracker, we threw it in the heart of the flame and placed wood over it. Because we were all about safety, we stood behind our massive wood pile. Five minutes pass and all I get is a huge flash of light. I was disappointed. My dad told me to go to the garage and get some more boxes and he’d get more drinks. Halfway to the front yard, we are startled by a massive explosion and a flash of light that lit up surrounding yards. How that paper and powder lasted ten minutes in that inferno was beyond me. I had to run back there and assess the awesomeness of the event. Into the wood pile, throughout the backyard, and across the crick I found red hot coals. The fire had been blown apart!
From this, we saw firsthand what people that show up on the news do and what they are thinking. Although it was an awesome sight, I don’t think we’ll be doing it again anytime soon.

1 comment: